A Riemann client library and command line tool for Python. It supports UDP and TCP transports, queries, and all metric types. The client library aims to provide a simple, minimal API does not require direct interaction with protocol buffers. There is also a queued client that can queue or batch events and then send them in a single message.
As a command line tool:
riemann-client [--host HOST] [--port PORT] send [-s SERVICE] [-S STATE] [-m METRIC] [...] riemann-client [--host HOST] [--port PORT] query QUERY
The host and port used by the command line tool can also be set with the RIEMANN_HOST and RIEMANN_PORT environment variables. By default, localhost:5555 will be used.
As a library:
import riemann_client.client with riemann_client.client.Client() as client: client.event(service="riemann-client", state="awesome") client.query("service = 'riemann-client'")
A more detailed example, using both a non-default transport and a queued client:
from riemann_client.transport import TCPTransport from riemann_client.client import QueuedClient with QueuedClient(TCPTransport("localhost", 5555)) as client: client.event(service="one", metric_f=0.1) client.event(service="two", metric_f=0.2) client.flush()
The QueuedClient class modifies the event() method to add events to a queue instead of immediately sending them, and adds the flush() method to send the current event queue as a single message.
riemann-client requires Python 2.6 or above, and can be installed with pip install riemann-client. It will use Google’s protobuf library when running under Python 2, and GreatFruitOmsk‘s protobuf-py3 when running under Python 3. Python 3 support is experimental and is likley to use Google’s protobuf once it supports Python 3 fully.
- Added Python 3 support
- Changed riemann_client.riemann_pb2 to wrap _py2 and _py3 modules
- Changed setup.py to dynamically select a protobuf dependency
- Added API documentation (riemann-client.readthedocs.org)
- Replaced argparse with click for an improved CLI
- Various command line parameters changed
- --event-host became --host
- --print was removed, send always prints the sent event
- Minor fixes to QueuedClient API
- UDPTransport.send returns None instead of NotImplemented
- Added events() and send_events() methods to the client
- Added clear_queue() method to the queued client
- Add --timeout option for TCP based transports
- Full Riemann protocol support (TLS transport, event attributes)
- Fixes for multiple broken features (--tags, --print)
- Raise errors when clients are used incorrectly
- Client displays errors from Riemann nicely
- Relaxed version requirements to fit CentOS 6 packages
- Renamed module from riemann to riemann_client
- Command line interface was rewritten, and is now the only part of the library that respects the RIEMANN_HOST and RIEMANN_PORT environment variables
- Support for querying the Riemann index was added
- Internally, transports now define send instead of write, and TCPTransport.send returns Riemann’s response message